Friday, September 13, 2013

"The Spinsters" on Kindle

Yes, there are spiders involved!
Being a former English professor and lifelong cinephile, I not only love good stories but yearn to tell them myself. I have been tapping away at various fiction projects for years - in between academic writing and classic movie blogging - and this week I finally took the plunge and published a short story on Kindle.

"The Spinsters" is a Gothic tale whose twisted sense of humor and little old lady characters are definitely inspired by ARSENIC AND OLD LACE (1944), although I have known quite a few mad old women in real life. There's something about them that I find endearing, even (and perhaps especially) when they behave badly. I dislike people who take advantage of the elderly, which happens all too often these days, so I invented Letitia and Louisa to even up the score. They're dear little things with a good dose of my Aunts Birdie and Sis in their makeup.

With a title like "The Spinsters," there have to be some spiders involved, so be forewarned if arachnids give you the willies. This fall the web spinners have been all about my garden, which reminded me that I had started this story some time ago and really wanted to finish it. 

This is meant to be the beginning of a collection of horror stories, each dealing with a different classic "monster" type. I have been watching quite a lot of old Universal horrors this fall, and if I don't run as mad as Dwight Frye by Halloween I hope to have several more finished and ready for readers.

"The Spinsters" is free on Kindle through Saturday, so you've nothing to lose by giving it a try. I hope you'll enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Here's the link to the story on Amazon. Let me know what you think if you read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment