Thursday, February 2, 2012

Vampire & Gothic Playlists

I admit to being picky about my vampire/Gothic music. I prefer things that suggest the state of mind of the vampire or the emotional ambience of the Gothic, and the hardcore heavy metal stuff does nothing for me. With that in mind, here are two lists that evoke the vampire and the Gothic. I point out the connection only when it doesn't seem readily apparent from the title of the song. Enjoy!


Vampire Playlist
“Bad Things” Jace Everett (theme song for True Blood)
“Nosferatu” Blue Öyster Cult
“Oh the Vampire” A.A. Bondy
“Moon Over Bourbon Street” Sting
“Bloodletting” Concrete Blonde
“Theme from Dark Shadows” Cincinnati Pops Orchestra
“People are Strange” The Doors (covered in The Lost Boys)
“Am I Demon?” Bonnie Prince Billy
“The Vampire Roadtrip” The Hammerdowns
“Rest in Peace” James Marsters (ftd. in Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
“Into the Darkness” Crosby, Stills, & Nash
“Darkness, Darkness” Robert Plant
“The Killing Moon” Echo and the Bunnymen
“Full Moon” The Black Ghosts (ftd. in Twilight film)
“99 Problems” Hugo (featured in Fright Night remake)
“Bela Lugosi’s Dead” Bauhaus
“Alligator Man” Stoneground (ftd. in Dracula A.D. 1972)
“Love Song for a Vampire” Annie Lennox


Gothic Playlist
“Somebody’s Watching Me” Rockwell
“Ballad of Dwight Fry” Alice Cooper
“Welcome to My Nightmare” Alice Cooper
“Thriller” Michael Jackson
“Pet Sematary” The Ramones
“Evil Eye” Billy Idol
“White Wedding” Billy Idol
“Grim Grinning Ghosts” Swingtips
“Wuthering Heights” Pat Benatar
“Black River Killer” Blitzen Trapper (reminds me of Night of the Hunter)

2 comments:

  1. So I thought about this song as an afterthought that might make it to your vampire playlist. It's performed by Steve Barton and was on the concept recording of the English version of "Tanz der Vampire" or "Dance of the Vampire." It's an interesting song, and Steve has a great voice... the German version is great too, although I don't understand German...

    I think that the song itself does a good job of showing the humanity of the vampire figure, while showing his utter disregard for mortal things at the same time... I hope you enjoy.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcZP9BFL0TI

    ReplyDelete