Wednesday, December 15, 2021

LEGO Green Man

Here's another one of those moments where my literary, cinematic, and LEGO obsessions collide. In August I watched The Green Knight (2021), a modern revision of the iconic chivalric romance, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, a story I've loved since I first read it as a student and then taught many times during my years as a college English instructor. I've had the story on my mind again ever since I watched the film, which inspired me to build this LEGO version of the Green Man for an upcoming show with my local LUG (LEGO User Group), TNVLC.

The Green Knight of the story is the most famous incarnation of the Green Man, a mythological figure who represents the natural world and is usually shown as a man's face surrounded by or even made out of vegetation. You'll find him everywhere in the UK, even in churches, but he appears in many different cultures going back as far as the 2nd Century. Here's an article about the Green Man on Historic UK if you want to read more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment