Monday, November 4, 2013

Good Stuff on Warner Archive Instant

Warner Archive Instant has quickly become my favorite streaming service for movies. Since the site went live some months ago, it has continued to add new titles to its catalog, and every batch of new arrivals contains surprises and delights. I love not having to weed through great reeking piles of junk to find high-quality classic movies that look and sound great, even if they're cult classics instead of Oscar contenders, and for $10 a month I am really getting my money's worth out of the service.

This month I'm particularly excited by some of the newest additions. Here are a few of the movies I hope to watch and review in November!

ANDY HARDY MEETS DEBUTANTE (1940) - I love Andy Hardy films, and I have yet to see this one, so I am really pleased to see it in the new arrival bin. The Judy/Mickey combo is always fun, so this is a good choice for something to watch with the kids during the upcoming Thanksgiving break. I'm hoping Warner will add some of the other Hardy family films soon.

3 GODFATHERS (1948) - OK, I actually own this one on DVD and have seen it before, but I'm delighted that Warner added it just in time for the holidays. After all, it IS a Christmas movie! John Wayne joins a cast of terrific Western regulars for this sentimental story of outlaws who rescue a baby in the desert. Its appearance on Warner also reminds me that I need to rewatch 3 GODFATHERS and get a review posted in time for December.

JOHNNY BELINDA (1948) - This one has been on my to-watch list forever, and now I can finally check it off! Jane Wyman stars as a deaf-mute girl in a much-lauded drama from director Jean Negulesco.

HOLLYWOOD HOTEL (1938) - When I'm sick or feeling down, I turn to Busby Berkeley for a lift, and this is one I have yet to see. Thanks, Warner, for helping me combat the winter blues with Dick Powell, Lola Lane, and Benny Goodman!

DIPLOMANIACS (1933) - I need to get better acquainted with Wheeler and Woolsey comedies in general, so I'm thrilled that this film and KENTUCKY KERNELS (1934) are both now available on Warner Archive Instant.

Other new additions include CHEYENNE AUTUMN (1964), THE FALCON'S BROTHER (1942), THE LEOPARD MAN (1943), and DANCING LADY (1933). There are also several new Charlie Chan pictures in the catalog, two with Sidney Toler in the title role and one with Roland Withers.

If you haven't signed up for Warner Archive Instant, you should certainly pay the site a visit and take advantage of the 2 week free trial offer. With the slow nights of winter ahead, you'll find plenty to keep you cozily entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment