Monday, September 24, 2012

Published by Westview

Many of my friends and academic colleagues are writers of one sort or another, so I want to make a point of recommending the publisher I used for Beyond Casablanca: 100 Classic Movies Worth Watching. I chose Published by Westview because my friend, Jeff Thompson, suggested them to me, and I have been really happy with that decision.

I have previously published with McFarland and have also worked with Sterling Publishing and Race Point Publishing, so I do have some experience with the process. I pitched Beyond Casablanca to a few small, traditional publishers, but the niche topic did not arouse much interest, and I realized that my project could gather dust for years while I hunted for a company that would take a chance on it. I certainly had enough faith in my book to invest what Westview charges for their services, and I think that the final product is just as nice as the books I have worked on with McFarland and the other publishers. I had the opportunity to choose from a variety of attractive cover designs, and I was able to make changes and corrections several times to get the book just right. The time from start to finish was very fast, and the book was on Amazon and Barnes & Noble before I even got my author copies in the mail!

I should especially mention the hard work and constant feedback from Mary Catherine Nelson, who frequently worked nights and weekends to keep the process moving forward as quickly as possible. She made me feel that my book was as important to her as it is to me, and that gave me great confidence in her desire to create a quality product.

If you are looking for a publisher for your book, I would absolutely recommend Published by Westview. Tell them I sent you!

By the way, you'll find all of my books that are currently in print on my Author Page on Amazon.com. The Wider Worlds of Jim Henson is due out from McFarland in January 2013, and I will update the page as my other projects become available.


No comments:

Post a Comment